Monday, February 26, 2007

And a fun time was had by all...

I'm not going to go into great detail as I was covering the event for the Mid-Atlantic Brewing News, but the people who didn't show up at the Talley Rec Center on Saturday night for the Frederick Winterfest missed out. However, it's always been my contention that any night that features Blues, brews, and barbecue is a good night.

The evening kicked off with local favorite Flatfoot Sam, featured beer from Wild Goose, Barley and Hops, and Brewer's Alley, as well as food from the Hempen Hill BBQ Bar and Grill out of Hagerstown. Look for the beer information in MABN, but I'll touch very briefly on the bands (enjoyable if you're thing is Blues, classic rock or even a bit of Jazz) and the food.

Hempen Hill offered pulled pork and beef sandwiches, a variety of non-alcoholic drinks, as well as sides such as their own smokehouse macaroni and cheese, and coleslaw (amongst other items). I had a pulled pork sandwich and side of the Mac & Cheese.

While I prefer a "wet-style" barbecue, Hempen Hill makes their pull with a dry-rub, which was decent, though not powerful. As caterers though, they did have barbecue sauces available for those who were dining.

The Mac & Cheese appeared to be topped with smoked Gouda - a nice if surprising addition to a standard.

Keep an eye out for this event next year, it's worth your time. And remember to get a babysitter - it is an over 21 only event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome time. I'm in for next year. All that good beer and BBQ is making my mouth water.