Thursday, March 1, 2007

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream...

So Ben & Jerry's has opened along Carroll Creek Park. I have mixed feelings about this. I am happy to see businesses go into Carroll Creek, and don't particularly begrudge the fact that chains are invading downtown (they're not the first - remember Talbots on Shab Row).

My two issues are this - and I'm not even sure I should call them issues because one of them has nothing to do with the chain coming to town, just a complaint about the chain itself - one; I hope that the Ben & Jerry's doesn't have a significant impact on the Frederick Fudge & Ice Cream Company on East Street. And two; I just think that the Ben & Jerry's shops have become obscenely expensive over the years.

They have always been pricier at the B&J locations - but the last time I went I was struck by the fact that, for the same price as two cones with one scoop each I could have purchased a pint of the same ice cream from the supermarket, bananas, and hot fudge. For just a dollar or so more I could ad nuts and whipped cream and make three healthy-sized banana-splits.

I wish the owners luck, I just doubt I'm going to eat their product.

No comments: